Closed for tours for the season! See you Spring 2024!
The Parker Homestead represents more than 300 years of continuous use by one family from 1665 to 1996 when it was deeded to the Borough of Little Silver. The property was bought in 1665 when brothers Peter and Joseph Parker, Quakers from Rhode Island, purchased neighboring properties on the peninsula between the Navesink and Shrewsbury Rivers.
The current Parker House sits on property owned by Peter Parker and is most likely not the original home. The westernmost section of the house was most likely built in the early 18th century, c. 1721, based on tree ring dates collected in 2001 *(Veit and Jung 2001). This section of the house was originally one and a half stories tall before being raised to a full two stories in the 20th century. The eastern section of the house is typical of mid-late 18th-century farmhouses. It was built with two full stories and a full cellar supported by a large stone foundation.
While the location of the original 17th-century house is unknown, the current home represents a significant early house in the region. With the property being held by the same family for three centuries, the possibility of encountering 18th, 19th, and 20th-century deposits is high.
Little Silver was incorporated as a town in 1923. During much of the life of the Parker Homestead, it was considered part of Shrewsbury in a section that became known as Parkerville, with early settlers referring to the area as "Rumson Neck". There is so much to learn about the history of the area. Much of the Parkers' family photos, personal letters and postcards, baseball cards, books, and other belongings were left behind at Parker Homestead for future residents and visitors to enjoy.
Join us every Sunday for our Open House from 1 pm to 4 pm and view our beautiful grounds, barns, and house.